- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb hamburger 80/20
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 1 can tomato sauce
(14.5 or 15 oz.)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp masa harina
Chili Con Carne
- Cook the beef and sausage until it is browned. Stir while cooking.
- Drain the fat and remove the meat.
- Cook 3/4 of onion and garlic in a tbs of oil over low heat until soft.
- Add salt, sugar, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomato sauce, and water. Stir well.
- Add meat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low cook covered for 2 hours.
- Add masa harina dissolved in 1 cup of water into chili and stir it in well.
- Let the chili sit for 10 minutes or so.
If you don't have masa harina crumble up some tortilla chips and add with 1 cup water.
Typical recipe feeds 6 Yankee's or 3 Texan's
Serve topped with chopped onion and cheese and some tortilla chips on the side.