- Pork Belly
- Pink Cure #1
- Non-Iodized Salt
Enter the pounds of Pork Belly and press the calculate button.
Basic Dry Cure Bacon
- The easy way is to make up some basic dry cure. Plug in 10 or 20 pounds as weight then calculate the ingredients. This will store well in a closed container. Use pickling salt and white sugar if your going to store the dry cure. The grain size is about the same so it will stay mixed well in storage.
- Weigh the pork belly and plug in the weight and calculate the amount of pre-mix cure to measure out.
- Rub the cure on the belly and put in a zip lock bag expelling all the air. Store in a cool spot of the referigator for 5 to 7 days turning the belly over once a day.
- When the belly firms up rinse well and pat dry. Place on a wire rack and dry in the refegarator overnight.
- Set the bellies out for 1-2 hours to come to room temperature. Smoke at 130F for up to 2 hours.
- Increase the temperature to 150F till an IT of 140F is reached. Remove from smoker and allow to cool a bit. Then remove the skin when it can be handled.
- Wrap in plastic wrap when cool enough and put in the refrigerator for a couple of days or so. Par freeze for an hour or so till stiff then slice in your slicer.
Typical recipe size is 5 pounds
We all know what to do with bacon.