- Apple Cider 3c
- Apple Cider Vinegar 1c
- Brown Sugar 1/3c
- Kosher Salt 1/4c
- Allspice 1 Tbl
- Bay Leaves 3-4
- Black Peppercorns 2 tea
Cider Brine Turkey or Chicken
- One whole Turkey Breast or a Couple of Cornish Hens. Frozen Turkey Breast also works just don't cut the string bag until you're done cooking.
- Combine 3 cups Apple Cider, 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/3 cup Brown Sugar, 1/4 cup Kosher Salt, 3-4 Bay Leaves, 2 teaspoons Black Peppercorns 1 tablespoon of Allspice in a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in 4 cups of Ice Water and wait for the brine to be room temperature.
- Add the Turkey Breast or Chicken to the brine making sure it's fully covered with the brine and refrigerate approximately 1 hour per pound.
- Drain and rinse the Turkey or Chicken. Put slabs of butter under the skin.
- Boil 2 cups of Apple Cider slowly until it's reduced to 1/4 cup. Watch closely as it reduces to make sure it does not burn. The heat will need to be lowered as it reduces. The key to watch for is the bubble size, when it gets large you might be there. Add 1/2 cup butter and stir until mixed Allow to cool for a while until thickened.
- Heat smoker to 225°F
- After 30 minutes brush with the glaze. Brush more glaze as it cooks.
- Cook until the internal temperature is 150°F. Cover and rest for 15 minutes or so.