- Koscher Salt
- Caraway Seeds
- Wash your hands then remove outer leaves and wash cabbage. Shred cabbage into a large bowl.
- With clean hands, mix one tablespoon salt and one tablespoon caraway seeds per average head of cabbage.
- After 2 hours squeeze the liquid out of the cabbage, get mean with it.
- Place the cabbage and juice into a steril jar, I use a gallon jar for two heads of cabbage.
- Sterilize a quart zip bag and fill with brine water (1 tbsp salt to water).
- Place bag into jar to push the cabbage down to below the surface.
- After a week you can start to taste if you like, usually it takes 2-3 weeks but can take longer.
- When the taste suits you put into mason jars and put in the refrigerator. It will keep for a long time.
Serve as a side salad or on your hot dog. I like to get a cup of Sauerkraut and some chopped carrots for a side dish.