- Pork Shoulder
- Ice Water
- Soy Concentrate
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Pink Cure #1
- 38-42mm Hog Casings
Enter the pounds of meat and press the calculate button.
- Chill the grinding equipment.
- Cut off all the fat and grind through a 1/16 plate. It will mix better with the binder and have less air gaps.
- Grind meat through a 3/8 inch grinding plate.
- Mix all the ingredients and stir well.
- Add meat and mix well. Keep meat in refrigerator until ready to stuff.
- Stuff meat into casings and tie into rings.
- Place into refrigerator with paper towels between each layer overnight. That's enough work for one day.
- The next morning bring the meat up to room temperature.
- Hang in a 130F preheated smoker with vent wide open and allow casings to dry. This can take up to 2 hours, if you stored overnight with the paper towels it could only take 1/2 hour.
- When casings are dry gradually increase cabinet temperature to 160 F while applying 2 to 3 hours of smoke.
- Increase cabinet temperature to 165F and when the IT reaches 152 F (this can take up to 6 hours) shower with cold water until the IT is 110 F
- Hang at room temperature for 1 - 2 hrs to bloom.
- After smoking wait until IT reaches 135F then hang in a turkey fryer with 3-4 inches of lightly boiling water until the IT reaches 152F. This doesn't take long so don't leave.
- Bloom as above.
Typical recipe size is 5 to 10 pounds.
This can also be done with ground pork.
Vacuum seal and store in the freezer.
Serve hot on a bun with mustard or in Jambalaya or Gumbo.